1) Symmetrical Look: When the watch is at 10:10, we get a vertical symmetry in the face of the clock. But we get the same with 9:45 or 8:20 or some other time. Then why is it 10:10 ?
2) Smiley Look: When we look at a watch at 10:10, we see as if the watch is smiling. It is better to have a smiling face, rather than having a crying face when the time is at 8:20. Well that is one good reason, since it enlightens peoples minds while looking at the ad.
3) Victory: When the clock is at 10:10, the hands are similar to the letter "v" which symbolises victory. May not be the actual reason, but we can say this as one of the reasons.
4) Abraham Lincoln: Many say that it is due to the fact that Abraham Lincoln died at that time and so the watches show 10:10. But some say that, Lincoln was shot at night at around 10:15, and died the next day morning at around 7:22. So this isn't the correct the reason.
5) Visibility: When the hands are at 10:10, we have the makers name and other details (if any) clearly visible when they are placed above or below the center.
6) First Watch: Some say that first watch was made/completed at that time. But why are most companies adopting it? And in fact clocks are been around for hundreds of years. So this isn't the reason.
7) Hiroshima and Nagasaki Attack: Few say, it is because during that time, the first atomic bomb was used and in remembrance of all the victimes, all unused clocks or the clocks which are presented in show-cases have the same time of 10:10. But it seems the practise of 10:10 has been in there from 1920s. So I doubt this also.
So seeing all this, visibility along with symmetry, smiling face and victory seems to be a good reason for most watch companies , to show 10:10 in watches during their ads.
Previous: No Information
Related Industry Knowledge
- Maintenance of electronic Watches
- Wrist Watch Water Treatment
- True and false identification of watches
- Check the sensitivity of the watch
- Watch Industry Development
- The preservation function of the watch
- The etiquette of wearing a watch
- Identification of the authenticity of watches
- How to choose a watch
- Antique Watch Collection